Updated - Berres Brothers Coffee Roasters Issues Allergy Alert On Possible Nut Flavoring In CoffeeNovember 19, 2012
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - November 15, 2012 - Berres Brothers, Inc. of Watertown, Wisconsin is recalling: Berres Brothers Coffee Roasters, Chocolate & Peanut Butter and Berres Brother Coffee Roasters, Monkey Mocha and Berres Brothers Lunch with Elvis regular and decaffeinated whole bean and ground coffees.
The reason for this recall/alert is because these products may contain an undeclared nut allergen. People who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to walnuts run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume these products.
Berres Brothers Coffee Roaster’s, Monkey Mocha, Brothers Coffee Roasters, Chocolate & Peanut Butter and Berres Brothers Lunch with Elvis coffees were distributed throughout the United States and Guam, through grocery stores and mail order.
The following flavors, sizes and Julian date codes are being recalled. Julian date code is either stamped after UPC Code or on front of package.
1. Berres Brothers Coffee Roasters, Chocolate & Peanut Butter Coffee
• with Julian date code 12001-12318 (Jan. 1, 2012 thru Nov. 13, 2012)
• 12 oz. (340g) regular whole bean and ground coffee with UPC 746774-003594
• 12 oz. (340g) decaffeinated whole bean and ground coffee with no UPC
• 2.5 oz. ground coffee with no UPC
• 1.5 oz. (42.5g) ground coffee with UPC 746774-00042
• 5 LB bulk regular whole bean coffee with UPC 746774-00499
2. Berres Brothers Coffee Roasters, Monkey Mocha Coffee
• Julian Date Codes 12271 – 12318 (Sept. 27, 2012 thru Nov. 13, 2012)
• 1.5 oz. (42.5g) ground coffee with UPC 746774-000425
• 5 LB bulk regular whole bean coffee with UPC 746774-00509
3. Berres Brothers Coffee Roaster, Lunch with Elvis Coffee
• Julian Date Codes 12091 – 12319 (April 1, 2012 thru Nov. 15, 2012)
• 1. 5 oz. (42.5g) ground coffee with UPC 746774-000425
• 12 oz. (340g) regular ground and whole bean coffee with no UPC
• 12 oz. (340g) decaffeinated ground and whole bean coffee with no UPC
• 5LB bulk regular whole bean coffee with UPC 74677400-5093
No illnesses have been reported as of 11/15/2012.
This recall was initiated after it was discovered that product containing walnuts was distributed in packaging that did not reveal the presence of walnuts. Subsequent investigation indicates the problem was caused by a temporary breakdown in the company’s production and packaging processes.
Retailers are asked to remove these products from their shelves immediately and new product with proper labeling will be exchanged. Customers who have purchased these products should be aware that these products could possibly contain nut allergens.
Customer service representatives are available between 8:30 AM and 4:00 PM CST Monday through Friday at 1-800-233-5443 .
*We believe that none of the products being recalled were processed or offered through the national office.
* We strongly encourage you to notify your agencies within one business day from receipt of this notice.
* ALL cased and uncased inventories, both at the member level and agency level, need to be checked. This product may have entered member and agency warehouses through salvage, local donations, TEFAP, local purchases, retail pickups, food drives, or other avenues.
* For additional local details, please contact the Health Department(s) for the area(s) your food bank serves.
For full details on the recall, please visit: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm328402.htm?source=govdelivery
If you have questions, please contact Wayne Melichar, Food Safety Manager, at email@example.com or 312.629.7263.
About Feeding America Recall Notices
The Feeding America national office issues notifications of all national Class I and II recalls—those involving a health hazard situation in which there is reasonable probability that eating the food will cause health problems or death—and other recalls that may affect the safety of food supplied to network members.
The national office strongly encourages all member product solicitors, operations managers, and others involved in food and grocery distribution to regularly consult resources provided by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) at http://www.fda.gov/opacom/7alerts.html, and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) at http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fsis_Recalls/index.asp. Additionally, members can often receive information on national, state, and local recalls by contacting their local health departments.
If you or a colleague from a network food bank wish to subscribe or unsubscribe to the recall notification list, please click on “manage your subscription” at the bottom of this email. If you are an agency of a food bank, please discuss with your local food bank how you would like to receive recall information from them in the future.