Location: Administration - Columbia
The Human Resources Generalist assists with the day-to-day operations of the HR functions. Under the guidance of the Director of Human Resources, the generalist helps to implement and lead Human Resources practices and objectives that provide an employee-oriented, high performance culture.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Establishes and maintains healthy and positive working relationships with all Harvest Hope staff, as well as demonstrate extreme discretion and confidentiality with personnel.
- Responsible for explaining HR related benefit programs in a clear and positive manner to new hires and employees.
- Responsible for being knowledgeable on HR/HHFB policies and procedures and recommend changes when necessary and appropriate.
- Responsible for following and clearly interpreting all HHFB policy and procedures.
- Assists with the performance evaluation process and updates employee rosters, and other HR reporting programs/tools.
- Coordinates all staff meetings and employee engagement initiatives.
- Verifies I-9 documentation and maintains documentation
- Assists in the set-up of new employees e.g. email, background checks.
- Prepares new employee files and files documentation as needed.
- Assists with processing of new hires and terminations.
- Assists Director of Human Resources with various research projects and/or special projects.
- Works closely with hiring managers to open requisitions and secure all required signatures, develop job posts, schedule predictive index, perform the initial evaluation of applicants, offer a qualified pool of candidates to the hiring manager, and set up interviews.
- Reports job-related incidents and act as liaison between employees and workers’ compensation adjuster.
- Maintains and updates human resources documents.
- Serves as primary back up to Receptionist.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources preferred; two or more years related experience and/or training preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience, PHR certification is a plus
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Must have excellent organization, time-management, and task-management skills to maneuver in a very fast paced and diverse environment
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion; strong ethical character capable of handling confidential information
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Valid driver’s license
HHFB Team Member Accountabilities
- Demonstrates a commitment to the HHFB mission and to fighting to end hunger in South Carolina.
- Displays a desire to work with culturally diverse populations using a compassionate, collaborative and respectful approach.
- Supports a culture of continuous improvement by identifying and communicating process and safety improvements.
- Follows all safety policies and procedures, including reporting all unsafe acts and behaviors, safety hazards, incidents or accidents immediately.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the tasks outlined in this job description.
This position is primarily set in a warehouse environment with varying temperatures, including freezers and outdoor weather conditions. The position is regularly required to sit, stand, bend, twist, carry and lift objects up to 40 pounds. With forklift traffic in the facility and product stacked and stored throughout, this position requires someone who is mobile and who can hear and watch for traffic and normal hazards of a warehouse environment.
Occasionally, this role is required to respond to organizational needs outside of normal working hours. The position requires a fast pace.
Harvest Hope Food Bank is an equal opportunity employer and embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain and promote a talented diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential. This description provides information regarding the essential functions of the designated job and the general nature and level of work associated with the position. It should not be interpreted to describe all the duties whose performance may be required of such employees or be used to limit the nature and extent of assignments the individual may be given. This position description does not constitute an employment agreement or contract.